Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pantry Scraper Gourmet


Towards the end of the month when I'm broke, or when I'm so busy I don't have time to go shopping, I tend to throw together what I call pantry scrapers.  Those are the meals that you make when you scrape the back of the pantry for whatever's there.  

Fortunately, since deciding to eat vegan at home, my pantry is well-stocked all month long with plenty of dried goods.  I go shopping once a month and only buy fresh produce or specialty items in between. 

This week has already been busy, between a concert and preparations for contest on Saturday, so I haven't had the time or energy to go to the grocery store.  I was proud of myself tonight for pulling together the delicious item you see above.

Greek Stuffed Bell Peppers with Tzatziki Sauce

Serves 2, or 1 with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Bell Peppers:

1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup cooked quinoa, drained
olive oil
handful chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp fennel seed
pinch of fresh dill
1 tomato, chopped (or whatever veggies you like)
1 large bell pepper

1.  If you are using dried chickpeas (my preferred method) soak overnight and cook. 
2.  Rinse, drain, and cook the quinoa. 
3. Preheat oven to 350.
4.  Saute onions, garlic, fennel seed, dill, and other veggies in the olive oil until the onions are tender.  Drizzle with the lemon juice. You can add the quinoa and chickpeas to the mixture if you like-it makes the chickpeas crunchy on the outside. 
5.  Core the bell peppers.  Slice in half and clean.
6. Stuff the peppers with the mixture you just made and place right side up in a baking dish.  Bake until the bell peppers reach desired tenderness. 


Tzatziki Sauce

4 tbs Veganaise (or similar...I've also seen recipes that use vegan yogurt/tofu, but it was a pantry scraper!)
1/2 large cucumber, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
dill to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in a  food processor or blender and process until it's as chunky as you want it.  

Serve the peppers with a  drizzle, or as I did, drowning in the sauce.  There will be plenty of extra sauce!  I know it's hard to see in the above photo because the plate is white.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...